Styled in black, the FiiO X3 Mark III is a high-resolution portable audio player with a host of ancillary functions and features. For instance, it can double as an asynchronous USB DAC capable of handling 192 kHz/24-bit PCM files. The player is also Bluetooth 4.1 enabled, though not at the expense of fidelity. Three separate PCBs have been utilized in the construction of this mobile player: one for the digital section, one for analog amplification, and another for Bluetooth.
The X3 Mark III provides both 3.5mm and 2.5mm jacks. The 2.5mm jack is for use with balanced headphones and can offer you a more detailed listening experience with a wider soundstage. The 3.5mm output, on the other hand, is not just a headphone output. It’s also a line output and a coaxial jack that outputs DOP and D2P files. This means you can play both DSD and PCM files without an encoder.
- Balanced Output for a Wider Soundstage
- The X3 Mark III gives you the usual 3.5mm single-ended headphone output. However, there’s also a balanced 2.5mm jack that allows you to achieve a more detailed listening experience with a broader soundstage.
- Dual DAC Chips
- The X3 Mark III provides two high-performance PCM5242 DAC chips. These DAC chips offer a high signal-to-noise ratio, as well as effective noise reduction.
- Independent, Separated Chips for a Higher-Res Experience
- In the X3 Mark III, the DAC, low-pass filter, and op-amplifier all utilize separate chips to reduce the potential for interference between processes. Such interference could result in an inferior listening experience, which is why FiiO opted for this construction. Three PCBs have been employed, one for digital processing, one for analog amplification, and yet another for Bluetooth operation.
- Single-Button Construction
- The X3 Mark III gives you a multi-function button, which in one press allows you to access playback controls, change the equalizer settings, or switch between playlists.
- Certified Hi-Res Sound
- The X3 Mark III has been certified by the Japan Audio Society as a Hi-Res Audio product.
- All the Codecs You Can Handle
- WAV, APE, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, and more—they’re all supported, lossless and lossy alike.
- Bluetooth Enabled
- Bluetooth 4.1 is provided thanks to the X3 Mark III’s F1C81 chipset, which enables low-latency transmission.
- Accepts up to 256GB microSD Cards
- With support for microSD cards up to 256GB, you can carry thousands of songs with you on the move. For instance, you can carry up to 8,000 30MB FLAC files at one time.
- Multifunction 3.5mm Output
- The X3 Mark III’s line output doubles as a coaxial output for digital sources and is capable of outputting both D2P and DOP, so you can play both DSD and PCM files without an encoder.
- Additional Features at a Glance
- Power-saving standby and deep-sleep modes
- Broad in-line controls for fast forward, next, rewind, previous, volume, and more
- Asynchronous USB DAC capable of supporting 192 kHz/24-bit audio
- Familiar center-wheel design
- 20% thinner than previous models
- 126g lighter than previous models